1. Do you experience stress and anxiety if you miss working out?
2. Do you adjust your exercise according to how much you ate?
3. Are you afraid of gaining weight if you do not exercise?
4. Do you think about burning calories as you exercise?
5. Do you cancel plans with friends so you can exercise?
6. Do you exercise when you are sick, hurt, or too tired?
7. Do you have trouble sitting or relaxing because you’re not burning calories?
8. Do you have difficulty taking rest and recovery days?
9. Are you preoccupied with being toned and/or having a low body fat?
10. Do you experience self-disgust with your health habits?
11. Do you feel virtuous when restricting or exercising?
12. Do others tell you that you exercise too much?
If you answered half of these questions with a yes, you are exercising too much
or you are feel driven to exercise beyond what is healthy.
Signs & Symptoms of Excessive Exercise
• Muscle Soreness Or Tenderness
• Feeling Unmotivated & Lacking Energy
• Inability To Complete Workouts
• Decrease In Performance
• Prolonged Recovery
• Exclusion Of Other Activities
Pam Chin-Lai, MS, RD, LD, CEDRD specializes in the nutritional rehabilitation of eating disorders in children, adolescents and adults.